• Blog >
  • Toxic Ingestion / Poison
RSS Feed

Toxic Ingestion / Poison

Toxic Ingestion

Regardless of how careful you are with your pet, he may get into things that he shouldn't. This usually isn't a problem unless your pet gets into something poisonous or toxic. If this happens, your pet will need emergency care from our veterinarian. There are certain toxins that can be deadly for your pet. These include:

  • Gardening fertilizer
  • Certain plants such as Oleander, ivy, and berries
  • Rodenticides and insecticides
  • Household cleaning products
  • Anti-freeze
  • Chocolate
  • Nuts
  • Onions
  • Raisins
  • Avocados
  • Alcohol
  • Over the counter or prescription human medications
  • Pet medications

It is possible for your pet to ingest a toxin without you knowing it. In cases like this, you should be able to recognize the signs that your pet needs immediate medical attention.

Gastrointestinal Signs

Many toxins can cause stomach issues. The symptoms include:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive drooling

Internal Bleeding

Certain toxins can be very harmful to your pet and can cause internal bleeding. The symptoms of internal bleeding include:

  • Coughing up blood
  • Vomiting blood
  • Weakness
  • Pale gums
  • Increased heart rate
  • Collapse

Liver Failure

Certain toxins, particularly human medication and anti-freeze can cause liver failure. The symptoms include:

  • Yellow discoloration of the gums
  • Weakness or collapse due to low blood sugar
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Black, tarry stools
  • Acting abnormally
  • Extreme fatigue

Preventing Toxic Ingestion

Pets don't understand the idea of danger. They don't know what will make them sick and what won't. This is why it is up to you to keep all toxins out of your pet's reach. You should avoid feeding your pet off your plate. If he gets used to this, he might take the food when you get up. If there are toxins in the food, it can be deadly. Also, you should keep cleaning products, automotive fluids, and your medication and your pet's medication out of his reach and locked up.

If your pet ingests a toxin or is showing any of the symptoms listed above, you should call Silicon Valley Veterinary Specialists in San Jose immediately at (408) 649-7070. Don’t wait, call our clinic. Our emergency vet will ask what type of toxin your pet ingested and treat his symptoms accordingly.

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you


Find us on the map

Office Hours

Our Regular Schedule

OPEN 24 Hours a Day 7 Days per Week